Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Dark Nest Travels : A "Titan", Creepy-Crawlin' Backwards (in Time)

We were all teenagers, once, right? Well the laws of childhood development and chemistry points in that direction, so I guess that question is moot. I was a miserable teenager, a royal pain in my parent’s asses, so to speak. I was their only son, raised with my younger two sisters, so one could only imagine how obnoxious, how much of a pest, and how miserable, I could sometimes be, add the hormones of a teenager and you guessed it, pretty bad. I didn’t often get into trouble, kept my nose clean, or at least that’s what I had my mom and dad believe.

Sorry to get off topic....

My parents were a traveling inspiration to me, and since we made purchase of our 1995 Airstream Land Yacht motorhome, new to us,  I figured this was the perfect place to take everyone back to my youth. My parents were, at the time, recently camping in tents, in an old blue Dodge what my Dad dubbed, Turtle Top (I’m sorry dad if I don’t have the specks accurate), and a culmination of other things. They decided on a motorhome.

The one they were looking at was big, or at least as a pre-teen at the time, it appeared larger than life, and to my parents, it was an upgrade. It was a 1973 Titan Class A, with a Chrysler engine, a huge Chrysler engine that would typically, if my dad was lucky, get 6-9 miles per gallon. I remember the barrel chair that sat across from the couch. I remember them discussing it in the car and then making an offer.

It was exciting, thrilling, and I imagine my parent’s heads were spinning as to what they were getting themselves into. They wanted to travel with ease, and I totally didn’t see it due to my oatmeal kid’s brain. They wanted the convenience of travel and not stopping at a rest area, and if they did stop, they wanted to be able to actually rest.

The roaring of the engine, when my dad sat in the captain’s chair behind the wheel, invigorated me. The sound of the transmission as he put it into drive was all captivating. I sat in the passenger captain’s chair looking out to the paved country road ahead, through the larger than life windshield and out into the world as he pulled out and turned the behemoth out onto the road for the first time.

We took many trips with the motorhome, some of which I’ll talk about. It was a great inspiration to me and they travelled with us for many years after purchasing it. All the trips, the times I spent at the dinette in the back reading horror books when we travelled to the likes of Florida, through the Smoky mountains, stopping rustically to a state park, without electricity, it inspired me. At the time, it was not an inspiration, but hindsight forces me to be nostalgic and I took so much away from it. I took so much away from within, and it was through those windows, those eyeballs that the RV had, that I was peering out into the vast world of travel laid before me, and limitless opportunities if I put my head into the game of life. Thank you mom and dad! You created something in me that can never be shut off, and we owe that to you!

Here's a picture, albeit, not the original, but close enough, of the TITAN!



Newest youTube Video of  Dark Nest Travels... Click Here: Dark Nest Travels to the HOOD!

Thanks for reading about our lives. Don't forget to subscribe to Dark Nest Travels on YouTube and follow us on Instagram at: darknesttravels. Thanks for stopping by and keeping up to date on our life, in its genesis and the unfolding path that is just ahead.